Date: Saturday 17, 24, 31 July-7 August
Time: 10 am-14 pm (4 days ceramics workshop, 4 h/day)
Location on this date: Alexandra Constantinescu Studio, Cluj-Napoca
This workshop allows you to create porcelain and clay pieces following your interests and imagination. By exploring different techniques and materials, you will be able to build functional or art objects.
You will learn about:
- Ceramics: a brief introduction
- Materials: classification, properties; ceramic materials, glazes, pigments /porcelain versus clay
- Tools -the most important tools and how to work with them
- Slip casting technique- how to build and use the plaster molds
- Hand-building techniques– slab building, coiling, pinching, and pressing method.
- Texture –creating texture with found objects and other tools
- Adding color– pigments, underglazes, engobes
- Sgraffito technique
- Glazing process- you will learn how to prepare a glaze and methods of application
- Biscuit firing and glaze firing – learn the specific temperature of ceramics materials; about the kiln
- Lusters – applying techniques
- Recycling, reusing the ceramic scraps and glazes
The ceramics workshop is based on a practical approach so expect live demonstrations and lots of creative experiments.